About The Refuge
At Knoll Farm
The Refuge is a retreat center set in a spectacular, private setting that changes how people think and work together. Offering space for deep conversation and celebration, the Refuge is a short walk from our working farm, organic food, and ceremonial hand-crafted spaces that encourage inspiration and renewal.
The Refuge is available from mid May to mid October for organizational retreats, family celebrations, and countless other day-long to multi-day uses. If you are attracted to a family farm setting, unique and historic buildings, and a land-based community a bit off the beaten track of mainstream America, we encourage you to get in touch with us. We are all about co-creating transformative experiences, and we’d love to hear about the vision you want to manifest.
We are proud that our Refuge has consistently created a safe harbor where issues of class, race, power and privilege are seriously engaged, and all people are welcomed and honored. Such spaces are increasingly rare, and our home and refuge are an expression of what we work toward in the larger world. A rich history of change-making continues here through those of you who join us each year and benefit from what the Refuge has to offer.
“The retreat and the life you lead at Knoll Farm catalyzed a reflection for me about the role of creativity in our lives and in our work. I found Knoll Farm bursting with creative energy and I loved being surrounded by it. It made me want to be more intentional about bringing creativity, beauty, stillness, and reflection into my everyday work and personal life.”
“It’s a place where big concepts are explored through the tactile experiences of making things, sharing hands, moving sheep, having conversations, sharing meals, or meditating in the early morning. It’s hard not to feel inspired toward something better while at Knoll Farm.”
“The week exceeded my wildest expectations. The environment at Knoll Farm – physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual – was highly conducive to deep personal reflection and open sharing. The food was superb, the facilities were comfortable, and the genuine hospitality was inspiring. These ingredients enabled each participant to really test their own limits, and build relationships I never would have thought possible in a week’s time.”
“How many times have we met in conference centers and resorts to talk about the land? This was completely different. This was where we walked our talk, if even for just a week. We all saw a different view of how the world can be.”
The Place We Oﬀer
Our newly remodeled retreat center is nestled in a grove of trees above our organic family farm. What we have aspired to create is something that expresses our love of artistic design, our belief in simplicity and a light ecological footprint, and our appreciation for nature. It is a wonderful place to settle into a simpler rhythm.
- We are open for retreats and family celebrations from mid May to mid October. We encourage you to book several months in advance.
- Ideal group size in the Refuge is 10-24 people overnight, with lots of additional accommodation options nearby.
- Our barn and outdoor ceremony sites can accommodate around 150 people.
- A historic timberframe barn provides a dining room, library, meeting and hang-out space, yoga floor and place for screening and presentations
- Along our hiking trails you will find our mountain meditation yurt, a 750-square-foot space heated by a woodstove.
- Office space is available for meetings and planning sessions, with wifi.
- Guests at the Refuge at Knoll Farm sleep in single, double, and family sized yurts.
- Yurts and pathways are lit at night with solar power. A cob and stone bathhouse in the retreat village has hot showers, flush toilets and a wood-fired hot tub.
- The farm has an extensive trail system and is within minutes of many other first-rate recreational opportunities in the Mad River Valley such as waterfalls, swimming, biking trails and the Green Mountain National Forest.
We are now accepting reservations for May 15 – October 15, 2019 – our 17th season.
Please contact us with questions or to reserve your retreat now.
THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO VISIT
The Refuge at Knoll Farm
By joining our community, you become part of the story of this land.
Be the first to know when the berries are ripe, workshops are scheduled, or leadership fellowships are announced.